Sunday, February 27, 2011

Are you Sure School Ain't Fun?

So Studious!

First Grade! Preschool! I've been having a blast homeschooling again this year! There is so much flexibility in our schedule, and so many options for learning, all which is very exciting for this teacher-minded mommy!

This year we are using Sonlight curriculum for some of our subjects, which is a literature based program. It's so fun because we learn by reading many different genres of books. I also add my own personal touch to fit our family and schedule.

Braden is learning so much this year in 1st grade! He's reading to us, writing his own stories, and able to add and subtract some pretty big numbers.

Start the day off right with green eggs and ham.

We're also reading several classic children's books, learning about our World's history and geography, studying different cultures, learning Bible stories and memorizing verses, and reading some very encouraging stories about missionaries around the world. We've studied the animals living on each continent, are learning about our human body, and when I'm really ambitious, the kids love to do science experiments!

AND, the year is only half over....we've got a whole lot more in store! I must admit that I'm learning quite a bit too (extra bonus)!

Reading

Science Explosion!

Science video clips: Experiments and Journaling


Both children have liked taking swimming lessons at our community center, and have recently started taking piano lessons from their Nana JJ, who is a very talented pianist and teacher!

Piano Practice Time...Elise wants to play too!

This semester Braden has also been attending Home Choice Academy, which are classes offered for homeschool families through the public school. He attends a 1st/2nd grade blended classroom for reading, writing, and math two mornings per week. In addition, he takes a science experiment class and a simple machines lego class one afternoon a week. Homechoice Academy has a been a nice supplement to what we are doing at home!

Ready for his 1st day of School at Home Choice Academy

I'm thankful for the opportunity to homeschool and for many friends that also do so. Support from others, and mostly my passion for teaching help make it possible for me to keep it up!
Of course, it's a definitely A LOT of work and some days I feel like I'm just trying to "catch up" on life, but it's worth all the effort and I wouldn't trade it for anything different!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this blog AND your whole family site!! You are doing such a great job as teacher and mom! Keep up the good work! You get an A+.

Anonymous said...

that was not mom, but Kathy Fisk. Sorry! Guess I'll always be 'mom' on this site.
Kathy