Friday, October 10, 2008

Bob's Red Mill: Our Outing with Nana JJ

Last week Sheldon was in Denver for work so Sheldon's mom & I decided it would be fun to take the kids on an outing. We went to Bob's Red Mill near Portland, a name of which some of you health nuts may recognize!


This mill grinds several kinds of grains and packages and manufacturers natural foods in a natural way (www.bobsredmill.com). This is definitely a place we were both excited about since we are interested in eating as healthy as possible. After the tour of the mill, where we learned all about our favorite grains, we headed over to the bakery for a wonderful lunch and treats! Our outing concluded with a shopping trip at the on-site store for all of our favorite grains, cereals, and beans. You can't just get some of these in a regular grocery store!

Since I really enjoy grinding my own grains into flour at home this was the store for me. Many of these grains are healthier than regular flour, which is why I'm interested in them. Some of the grains I use are wheat, quinoa, spelt, amaranth, kamut, buckwheat, and rye. I enjoy combining them in our favorite bread, muffin, waffle, and cookie recipes. I know you must think I'm strange, but I consider this a hobby for me! I'm sure Jackie and I looked like 2 kids in candy store as we loaded up our carts!

Thanks Nana JJ for the outing, we always enjoy a day with you!


Look a the silly hair/beard nets the workers wear. The kids
thought they were fun "costumes."

Here is a muffin recipe we've enjoyed this week using some of the our freshly ground grains (you can substitute with any flours).

Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins

Praline Top (Optional):

2 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/3 cup flour (I used spelt flour)
1 Tbsp. of ground flax
1/3 cup of oats or chopped pecans

Muffin Batter:
2 cups flour (I used a combo of spelt, amaranth, wheat, and white)
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp. aluminum free baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp each of nutmeg, cloves, & ginger
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
1/3 cup canola or grapeseed oil
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup dried cranberries or raisins

Combine topping ingredients using a pastry blender to make a crumb topping.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine and whisk together wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until just blended. Fold in raisins or cranberries. Pour batter into muffin tins and sprinkle on praline topping. Bake 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees until toothpick comes out clean. Makes approx. 1 dozen.


2 comments:

Wilson Family said...

Yum! I love Bob's Red Mill stuff too! I've been meaning to go there for some time- I think the kids would get a kick out of it, plus we could meet Andy for a lunch date. Thanks for the great idea!

Unknown said...

Jamie. I so love reading all your posts. I wish I could whip up a batch of those muffins...but i don't think I could find most of those ingredients here in cambodia:) steph fisk