Wednesday, May 20, 2009

It's Time for Charlotte's Web...

I decided that it would be fun to read a children's chapter book to Braden so I chose Charlotte's Web as our first one to read together. He loved it, and usually didn't want me to stop reading once we would get started (especially if it was bedtime)!

Of course the teacher in me decided to not ONLY just read the book, but find EVERYTHING that the library had on the topic of Charlotte's Web in order to do a unit study. Therefore, I also checked out the book on audio tape, we watched the movie, read several illustrated versions together (each one is a chapter from the book), and made crafts to go along with the book! We sure had a an amazing time reading, learning, and creating during this book unit.

Hope you enjoy the pictures of some of our highlights...

This is Charlotte the spider in her web. Braden thought of making a web out of yarn and attaching Charlotte to it. He also asked me to write the word "radiant" on tape and stick it to the web since that is one of the words that Charlotte spun into her web in the book. I was thrilled by how Braden took simple craft ideas and developed them into much more creative activities!



We made a paper mache Wilbur the pig. This was our first paper mache project. How fun and how STICKY! Braden could hardly wait for Wilbur to dry (it takes a few days) so that he could pop the balloon inside and then paint him.



Here is Templeton the rat, made into Braden's very own puppet.


Now I am in the hunt for our next chapter book unit! Any suggestions???

No comments: